George E. Fleming
Mr. Fleming is one of a select few in Southern California who has been accorded one of the highest honors a trial lawyer can receive: an invitation to be a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
He was also inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates in 1983, where he holds the rank of “Advocate,” and is a past SD president. In over 40 years of major, complex litigation, he has handled an extraordinary number of jury trials and mediations, resulting in an impressive record of successful outcomes for his clients.
Mr. Fleming worked for a decade for one of the largest firms in the world litigating matters with national and international issues for major corporations.
While he was there, he was repeatedly recognized for his pro bono work as National General Counsel to Christian Youth Theater. Since leaving Baker & McKenzie, he has continued to litigate business, employment, and major tort and personal injury matters. As lead counsel on behalf of plaintiffs, he has recovered many millions of dollars for his clients, and as a defender he has saved clients many millions as well.
As a result, for over 20 years, he has annually been recognized by Woodward/White as one of the Best Lawyers in America.
In his spare time, Mr. Fleming enjoys playing with his grandchildren, chess, crossword puzzles, and racquetball.
Areas of Concentration
- Commercial Litigation
- Products Liability
- Employment Litigation
- Major Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
- M.B.A., University of Southern California, 1971
- J.D., California Western School of Law, 1975
- B.S., University of Southern California, 1970
Prior Professional Affiliations
- Baker & McKenzie, LLP, 2000-2008
- Chapin, Fleming & Winet, 1991-2000
- McInnis, Fitzgerald, Rees & Sharkey, 1975-1991
Awards, Honors, and Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Past SD President & Director, Rank: Advocate
- San Diego Defense Lawyers Association, Past President & Director
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Former Faculty
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Past Board of Governors
- San Diego Barristers Club, Past President & Director
- La Jolla Bar Association, Director
- American Inns of Court, Past Master
- University of San Diego School of Law, Former Adjunct Professor
- Selected to San Diego Super Lawyers (2007 – 2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America (1995 – 2021)
- San Diego Magazine’s Top Lawyers (1996 – 2021)
- Super Lawyers – National Corporate Counsel Edition (2010 – 2021)
- Co-Author of the chapter “Five Legal Strategies Every CEO Should Know” fromStraight From the Top: Case Studies in the World of Litigation (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGJ9LJU) Martindale-Hubbell: Rated AV Preeminent, highest possible ranking
Pro Bono & Community Involvement
- Christian Community Theatre, former National General Counsel
- Volunteers of America, former Director
- San Diego Yacht Club
Admissions to Practice
- All California State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District
- United States District Court for the Central District
- United States District Court for the Eastern District
- United States District Court for the Southern District